Rings slings are hugely popular with both new and seasoned moms, and it’s no surprise why! They are a fantastic option for freeing your hands while allowing the baby to stay close to your body, which is comforting for them. Not to mention, indispensable for fastening and binding. Below we’re going to go through everything you need to know about them and tell you which are our favorites.
The ULTIMATE Guide to Ring Slings
Mothers are busy and babies always want to be held (especially at the worst times), these are just simple facts in life. And that’s why ring slings are a must-have!
What exactly is a ring sling? Well, it’s a long piece of fabric that you wrap around yourself and pull through two rings to pull it tight to make a perfect little pouch for your baby. They have become very popular because they are so practical and the most versatile option for baby carriers.
Although they are similar to baby swaddles, make sure you don’t confuse the two as there are some key differences. Baby slings can be tied in many different configurations, which is nice because you can change the support from different areas of the body. BUT that can also be a great pain. You basically have to do origami every time you put one on, while with a ring sling you just slide it over your shoulder and tighten.
The Ring Sling is easy to put on, but still offers you the ultimate cozy closeness that makes your baby calm and happy. While they have become increasingly popular lately, mothers have used similar methods of carrying their babies since ancient times. The bond with mothers all over the world and mothers from a long, long time ago definitely has something cool about carrying your baby close to you in natural materials. There is even research that carrying your baby this way is part of attachment parenting, which has positive lifelong consequences. I always say that if something has persisted in parenthood since ancient times, it is worth trying.
Check out this video from WildBird to learn how to use a ring sling!
What they are used for
- These bad guys are great for short stints like the grocery store or cleaning up the house.
- Breastfeeding without hands! How exciting is that? We know mothers with newborns sometimes feel like they’re feeding all day, making it impossible to accomplish anything else, but just think of all the things you could do if you had your hands free. So maybe just scrolling down your Instagram feed is enough (don’t forget to visit us while you’re there) but hey, we support it.
- Use them for all ages. That means if you have a toddler who wants to get up and down and up again, you can just put them in your Ring Sling and it won’t be too difficult to get them out again.
- For newborns with reflux or colic, this could be one of the best places to nap.
Why do you love them?
- Versatility; Newborn baby to a wobbly toddler can all fit in the sling with simple adjustment (hello mothers of 2! You can fit any of your children!)
- They make dad duty easy! Many wearers will fit a specific body type or require a lot of confusing adjustments to switch so it will only fit one wearer. The Ring Sling easily fits mom, dad and anyone else who needs it.
- The tail material not only makes you look super trendy, but is actually very versatile. You can fold it forward for perfect sun protection or a nursing blanket.
- They can make any fashion statement you want as they come in many different colors and patterns.
- They make hip carrying a breeze.
- All pats.
- You can wear out the one shoulder that bears the baby’s weight.
- Longer wearing will become more difficult as your child grows.
- You have to be very careful when washing. Hand washing and air drying are best.
Our 4 most popular ring slings
Sakura Bloom ring sling
The sakura is available in countless different materials; Linen, chambray linen, silk, theory bamboo and there are a few more. Depending on the climate where you live and what you like best, you can choose your favorites.
We love their simple but trendy color options. They definitely won’t go out of style anytime soon.
They’re super breathable for those of you who live in hotter climates.
Many baby carriers say this is the sling to start with and you will get addicted in no time.
Single-ply Wildbird noose
Anything that says it’ll only get softer over time has my voice and that’s one of the most frequently checked details about this sling.
They are made of pure, super breathable linen, so there is no sweaty mess!
We love all of the color and material options these slings come in, and you can choose your ring color. Welcome the adaptation of your spot color to your ring sling.
Kyte Baby Ring Sling
These eco-friendly slings made from 100% pre-washed linen are sturdy and easy to use.
They are easily adjustable and adapt to most adult body types.
The best part is that this sling has two pockets, a large outside pocket and a smaller inside pocket so you can easily carry things like your phone or keys on the go!
Moby ring sling
For only $ 49.95, this sling is great value for money.
Comes in one size but is extra long so it’s perfect for all body types, including dad.
The material is light and soft and will keep you and your baby comfortable.
Which of these ring slings would you choose?
You may also be interested in these related posts:
Pin the ULTIMATE Guide to Ring Slings for later-
* Disclosure – this post contains links from the Amazon affiliate program.